The future of IAH and HOU

The latest news from around the aviation world.

The future of IAH and HOU

Postby panamboy70 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:23 pm

No doubt everyone is aware of the troubles that Houston is experiencing. Some on other forums are saying that Houston as a hub either for Southwest or United is over at least for the short term possibly longer. Of course, this is BS, but what short or long term impact do you all think might this have on air service in Houston? When airports shut down due to snow up north they do not cease operations and close up shop for weeks or months at a time as some seem to believe HOU or IAH might. While I like to rib our cousins down IH45, I am really pulling and praying for them down there.
panamboy70

Re: The future of IAH and HOU

Postby Greg on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

I certainly hope all of Houston gets back on their foot soon. So sad to see the devastation down there. I understand there was some flooding at both airports, I would imagine that as soon as possible United and Southwest will get things up and running, both are very important airports to their network.
Greg
Site Administrator

Re: The future of IAH and HOU

Postby Capt. Ft. Worth on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 pm

There was no major flooding at IAH's terminals and runways, but the runway's at HOU flooded when they hit the 30 inches of rain mark.
Roads to both airports flooded. East of IAH they got about four feet of rain in four days. More southeast of the airport. There was some minor leak/water damage at both airports in the Terminals, but overall terminals did fine.

UNITED announced non-stop IAH-SYD service starting 18 Jan 2018 so I presume things are looking ok for now.
I think Southwest might have the harder time.
Capt. Ft. Worth

Return to Aviation News