American asks for antitrust immunity in deal with British Ai

The latest news from around the aviation world.

Re: American asks for antitrust immunity in deal with British Ai

Postby Greg on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Here is a letter from BA to Executive Club members regarding the deal:

I am writing to you to ensure that you are one of the first to hear about the latest news from British Airways. Today we have reached agreement with American Airlines and Iberia to form a joint business, which if approved, will enable us to co-operate on flights from the UK and Continental Europe to the US, Canada and Mexico.

We plan to file for worldwide anti-trust immunity from the US Department of Transportation. The European Commission will also review the deal. If successful, we will be able to form a closer working relationship providing significant benefits for customers. All three airlines will continue to operate under our separate brands.

Closer working will create opportunities to enhance customer benefits. It will enable us to better align schedules giving more access to destinations and improving connections through key airports. Other benefits for customers include greater opportunities to earn and use frequent flyer miles on the other airlines' transatlantic network along with enhanced frequent flyer tier features. Our Executive Club members will continue to be able to enjoy lounge access with British Airways and its oneworld partners as they do today.

Our overall aim is to continue to deliver an upgraded travel experience to you. Financial efficiencies that the joint business agreement will give British Airways will help us to continue to invest further in our products and services, despite the demanding economic environment that the airline industry faces.

It is both a challenging and exciting time for British Airways and I will ensure that you are updated on developments as the proposed venture nears completion.

Warm regards,

Woody Harford
Senior Vice President, Commercial, Americas
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby captmidnight on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Will BA quit flying to DFW, or will it add an extra flight? If this gets approved, I think AA will start to fly to Madrid again....
captmidnight

Postby Greg on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:51 pm

I can't see why BA would stop serving DFW from LHR anymore than AA would stop serving LHR from DFW. Both are of course hubs for each carrier.
Greg
Site Administrator

Return to Aviation News