Hello, new guy here....

Any questions about DFW or any of its carriers?

Hello, new guy here....

Postby TWABoy65 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Just wanted to say hi, and introduce myself. My name is Mark, I am a NYC refugee (lived very close to JFK) now living in Irving. This looks like a killer site, very nicely put together.

So, as this is a a question forum, I'll pose a question? I am curious as to why DFW sees so little in terms of int'l service? Looks as if that other city which I will not reference :roll: , is getting the lion's share of the int'l service flying into Texas. Is it because of AA's massive presence, or what? Growing uo near JFK, I am so accustomed to seeing a lot of int'l metal kissing it's runways, I sure would like to see DFW overtake that other Texas airport one day and gain it's rightful place as Texas's true int'l gateway. :D

Mark
TWABoy65

Re: Hello, new guy here....

Postby Greg on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:09 pm

Mark,

Welcome to the site, and thank you for the kind words.

As for DFW not getting much international service, I think one of the main reasons would be Houston having so many of the oil companies based there. KLM is doing well so far, but that is really the first new Intl. of any significance to be added in years.

I think DFW is far ahead of IAH in terms of freight, but I would definitely also like to see more foreign passenger service. Of course, it seems that AA serves most of the routes that are in demand.

I know their is a lot of talk about a China route, but I don't know. China Airlines didn't fare well at IAH, and American's pilots ruined their chances of getting a DFW-China route also.

Greg
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby ZuluLima on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 pm

The AA hub keeps other domestic carriers from establishing a large presence, but could actually be considered an international draw. OneWorld partners especially can use the connections to their advantage, but so far only BA do so. I've always wondered how DFW can only get one daily BA 777 while IAH gets 2x 777 + 1 767 (old) or 2x 744 (new) even though CO is with Sky Team and Houston is a longer flight from London. Qantas has long been known to want DFW service, but won't have the range until they get their 787s. The others like JAL, Cathay, Iberia, and LAN have left or never had service I think mainly due to the fact that DFW is essentially mid-continent and AA can connect pax through coastal/border hubs like MIA, JFK, ORD, and LAX. International service is sure to grow here, but even with more point to point flying, geography will not allow DFW to be a major international hot-spot unless a fundamental change occurs in the region's appeal to consumers, eg. business, tourism, or population explosion.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Postby captmidnight on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:43 pm

ZuluLima wrote:geography will not allow DFW to be a major international hot-spot unless a fundamental change occurs in the region's appeal to consumers, eg. business, tourism, or population explosion.

I agree.

I've been hoping for more international service at DFW too, here's what I've heard:
*Qantas- waiting on their 787s to start flying to Sydney, Melbourne and/or Perth. But that plan was before oil went up to >$130.
*Air India- via Munich to India (maybe)
*Iberia- to Madrid (per the "reliable" Wikipedia)
*Finnair- to India via Helsinki (huh?)
*AA- to China once another airport slot opens and their pilots agree to fly there
*Cathay Pacific and China Eastern- DFW officials held talks with them recently

DFW and IAH have 3 dailies to LHR right now.

And about IAH, Arik Air if Nigeria is said to be eyeing Houston from Lagos. Emirates is very successful down there, Singapore Airlines is struggling (20-30% loads) and is changing arrival and departure times. Air France is decreasing their dailies from 2x to 1x soon. That's what I heard from the IAH board.
captmidnight

Postby captmidnight on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Greg wrote:KLM is doing well so far, but that is really the first new Intl. of any significance to be added in years.

Has KLM's loads gone up from 55% during its first weeks at DFW? That number is scary, and I hate for the Blue Bird to leave DFW for good.
captmidnight

Postby TWABoy65 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm

Interesting, so oil is the sole reason that IAH is big draw at the moment. What if the price of oil craters? I suppose most of these carriers will flee, perhaps a chance for DFW to snag a few. It seems that IAH is gaining on cargo ops as well, Cathay Pacific Cargo according to their airport website is to begin operations later in the year, as well as a Russian company call AirBridge. Doesn't IAH see the AN124s?

How is KLM doing here? I read on the previous post that it has a 55% load factor, is that not good? After all that would seem to be a plane that is a little more than half full.

Mark
TWABoy65

Postby matt on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:05 pm

The other big Int'l airport in Texas gets lots of international premium traffic that DFW simply doesn't generate. That's why AF, KL, and BA each have two flights. They generally go full up front and not so full in the back. The business class traffic is related to three things: 1. The Oil Industry in Houston. 2. The Internationally respected medical center in Houston. 3. The large international community in Houston.

The traffic has nothing to do with the Skyteam vs. Oneworld or anything like that. It's a huge amount of premium traffic from Houston to the Middle East and Africa. Continental's feed to AF or KL isn't the reason for the second daily flight. In fact, Continental has a European operation from IAH that is about equal to AA's European operation from DFW. AA has 2 flights to LHR, 1 to CDG and 1 to FRA. CO has 2 to LGW and 1 to LHR (that seems to be in a state of flux) plus 1 to CDG and 1 to AMS.

I've heard on a.net that IAH is BA's second most profitable city in North America. It seems like they have made a huge investment in IAH, with the generous capacity plus they have both a Terraces Lounge and an Executive Club Lounge. And they are planning to upgrade IAH to 2 X 744 daily--and I'm planning to fly on one of them!

I guess I could drone on and on, but the fact is...Texas is rather impressive in aviation. CO, AA, WN are all based here and DFW plus IAH are major hubs for the nation. EK's second city in North America was in Texas. So I like both our airports. DFW is home though.
matt

Return to Questions