DFW Removes Anubis statue

DFW News and other topics posted by our members.

DFW Removes Anubis statue

Postby Greg on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:24 pm

DFW has quietly removed the Anubis statue from Founders Plaza after just 12 days. It does seem odd to erect a 10 ton statue (amongst much fanfare) to promote an exhibit, specifically the "Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs” at the Dallas Museum of Art (DMA), and take it down less than two weeks later. The exhibit runs until May.

There was a complaint from one man who witnessed the 1985 Delta L1011 crash at DFW and was highly offended by the placing of the statue. However, according to this article, "the airport said it has no plans to remove the statue early."

To be fair, none of the press releases or news articles gives an exact time frame for how long the statue was to have been in place. Either way, after just 12 days on guard, Anubis is gone.

Here is the original DFW press release concerning the statue.
Greg
Site Administrator

Re: DFW Removes Anubis statue

Postby ZuluLima on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:59 pm

Well, he was holding a candy cane. Maybe it was just supposed to be there for the holidays. I would expect it to reappear somewhere in the city that has more advertising appeal than Airfield Drive.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Postby legion242 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Wow, that was quick. Maybe it was because of the candy cane. I'm just glad I got to see it on Tuesday.
legion242

Postby aaboy757 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Wow, that was quick. Luckily I also got to see it Tuesday. I should have got a picture next to it! : )
aaboy757

Postby super80 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Ok, I get that Anubis was the "God of the Dead, and guide to the afterlife", but seriously, that's being a little oversensitive, and extremely PC. For all the bitching about the statue, you'd think there would be more clamoring to put a memorial in place for DAL 191.

That's like saying you could never fly a silverbird up the Hudson river because people remember 9/11.
super80

Return to DFW News & Discussion