I miss Founders!

Share and talk about the latest DFW rumors here.

I miss Founders!

Postby RockwallTim on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 pm

I was going through old photos tonight and came across several I'd made from the dearly departed Founders Plaza. That was such a good deal. No, it didn't afford wonderful photography opportunities 24/7, but it certainly had its moments. I shall never forget the sight of a 757, '67, or '77 cresting the hill. I miss the interaction with the pilots as well.

And the new one won't be able to come close to the old one.

Tim Perkins
RockwallTim

Re: I miss Founders!

Postby Greg on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Tim,

While I agree there were some nice times and shots at the old Founders, from my experience 90% of the stuff was MD-80 or RJ taxi shots, except on North flow days and those 35C arrivals...

I personally always have preferred the West side and LH Cargo and Eagle, before I gave up out there. I think the new Founders is going to be oustanding for action shots of cargo and heavies, foreign and domestic.

So, I personally think the new one will top the old one. To each his own! Either way, see you out there!
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby JayDavis on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:30 am

There is a part of me that also misses Founders, yet overall, it wasn't that great of a location. I sincerely think the West Side location will provide much more photo opportunities.

I just wish DFW would make an outdoor observation area, on top of the LH Cargo building, for example where you could get some great shots of the west side operations and you'd pay an admission to get up there. That would be sweet!!
JayDavis

Postby legion242 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 am

I miss just having someplace to go, but I think what i will miss most is the pilot interaction that the OP mentioned. My little daughter got such a kick out of those guys waving back at her.
legion242

Postby ZuluLima on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:09 pm

JayDavis wrote:There is a part of me that also misses Founders, yet overall, it wasn't that great of a location. I sincerely think the West Side location will provide much more photo opportunities.

The new plaza will be almost exactly the same in terms of placement. NW corner instead of SE. The first difference will be that it will have the UPS ramp to view where the old plaza had taxi-bys, a poor substitute for most (I personally love cargo ops). The second difference is the time of day for decent photos, evenings vs. mornings. Also, different aircraft favor each side, but in my opinion this is a draw. The only real advantage I see for the new location is the fact that DFW prefers south-flow operations, which will bring the action closer more often than before.

The only way I'll be reasonably happy is if they leave the current lot there so there is a place to shoot in the mornings. It's bad enough that they can only have one official place to go, as this airport is gigantic and you will always miss more than you catch. It would be simple for them to leave the lot as it is, and even put a new low-profile lot just past where the old plaza was when the taxiway construction is finished.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Return to Rumors