Old News, But It's About QANTAS

Share and talk about the latest DFW rumors here.

Old News, But It's About QANTAS

Postby captmidnight on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Look Who's Talking
Rob Gurney, Head of Sales & Marketing, Qantas Airways
By James Shillinglaw

Published on: July 10, 2006

What is your strategy in the U.S. market?
First of all, the Olympic Games in Sydney in 2000 provided a really good platform for Australia in the U.S. market. We got a significant profile from NBC, which was doing the broadcast. Regrettably 9-11 happened not long after the Olympics, so it set us back. But if you put it into context, we were operating 35 flights a week during the absolute peak of the Sydney 2000 games. We went down to as low as 26 flights a week during the aftermath of 9-11. But we're now up to 40 flights a week. We've leveraged on that and we've partnered very closely with Tourism Australia in the market. And now we've seen a direct correlation of increased booking activity with Australia's new "Where the Bloody Hell Are You?" tourism campaign. This really gives us confidence that the campaign has been effective in the U.S. This whole thing revolves around trying to release the inertia among Americans, who are high on aspiration to travel to Australia, but not so high in terms of realization. We want to break this inertia and release the tourism potential in the market at a time when Australia and the U.S. have become much closer in so many ways. The second thing is we have steadily increased our capacity in the market. We have a significant investment coming where we will be the largest non-U.S. carrier operating in Los Angeles, and we would like to expand into other gateways into the U.S. Probably the gateway that is of most interest to us is Dallas, since it is American's hub. It would be incredibly useful to us to have connectivity to American's network. But there is not an aircraft currently available that has the payload and range to fly nonstop to Dallas from Australia. You can fly nonstop from Auckland, but we don't think that's necessarily the way we want to do it. Ideally, we'd like to fly nonstop from Sydney and Melbourne to Dallas-Fort Worth. So that's something we're talking to the aircraft manufacturers about. It would open up a lot of new markets, including Latin America and the U.S. Southwest and Southeast.

You have the A380s coming into service next year at some point, what is going to be the impact of that aircraft on routes to and from the U.S.?
The impact is going to be significant because it puts extra seats into the marketplace, but also because it frees up aircraft where we can build frequency on routes like Sydney-San Francisco and Brisbane-Los Angeles. For example, we want to build Brisbane-Los Angeles frequency to daily instead of three or five flights a week. That will be one of our priorities once we get the A380 on Melbourne-Los Angeles and Sydney-Los Angeles. San Francisco is the other route where we want to build frequency. San Francisco also is a potential A380 route, but Los Angeles really is where we will use the aircraft. I don't think we would fly it through to New York JFK, however, because I'm not sure we would get enough of a load factor from JFK to Los Angeles. But flights from New York would be timed to connect with A380 service from Los Angeles to Sydney and Melbourne.

Is there going to be any impact when you get the new Boeing 787 Dreamliners?
It could have an impact since the 787 can operate between Australia and the U.S. West Coast. What that aircraft does is it gives you the capability to operate at a good seat-mile cost comparable to a 747-400 with about a 300-passenger payload. So that makes other city pairings more possible. It opens up a whole new range of possibilities. For that matter, we'd probably want to fly a 300-seat aircraft into Dallas. And a subsequent generation of those 787 aircraft might work on that route from Australia.
captmidnight

Re: Old News, But It's About QANTAS

Postby TWABoy65 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:10 pm

I'll probably dead and buried before DFW sees QF :cry:

Mark
TWABoy65

Postby ZuluLima on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:20 pm

TWABoy65 wrote:I'll probably dead and buried before DFW sees QF

You can't hang on for 3 more years? The 787 powered on for the first time today, and stories are out about how the subcontractors are starting to pile up barrel sections, etc. so it looks like the revised delivery schedule will hold. That would mean Qantas taking it's first 787s in early 2011 I think. You can bet DFW will be one of the first destinations.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Postby Greg on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am

I've been hoping for QANTAS for ages. I think they were set to come to DFW until Sep. 11. I think they should now, those 747s sit at LAX for 10-12 hours, they could easily do a DFW run in that time. Either way, with the 787, you will see QF flights here at DFW.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby ZuluLima on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 am

Just noticed he said IDEALLY, they would like to fly from both Sydney AND Melbourne. Somehow I never thought of getting the second flight once the first was established. Now that I think about it, either pairing could support more than one 787 flight per day as well. How would Houston feel if we had a 4x daily kangaroo party going on here in 5 years? I think this sounds more likely to happen than us getting the A380...at least in the short term.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Postby captmidnight on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 am

Qantas is trimming its domestic and international schedules beause of the oil crunch. When oil stabilizes to a reasonable level and airlines are stable again, then this is what I envision DFW Terminal D would look like at the Qantas gates:

*daily 787s from Syndney and Melbourne (MEL might start as 3x or 5x weekly)
*3x or 5x weekly from Perth
*and then daily A380 from Sydney (then use the SYD 787 to make MEL a daily flight?)
captmidnight

Postby TWABoy65 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Airports such as DFW. ATL and IAH will probably see a huge slow down if not a complete halt in int'l expansion due to the uber-high av gas prices, while the likes of JFK, EWR, ORD, LAX, MIA and SFO will still see more int'l services despite the fuel prices, for obvious reasons.

Mark
TWABoy65

Postby TeRenCeBeN on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 am

Actually guys stories are out about how the subcontractors are starting to pile up barrel sections, etc. so it looks like the revised delivery schedule will hold. That would mean Qantas taking it's first 787s in early 2011 I think. You can bet DFW will be one of the first destinations.
TeRenCeBeN
TeRenCeBeN

Postby captmidnight on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:29 pm

TeRenCeBeN wrote:Actually guys stories are out about how the subcontractors are starting to pile up barrel sections, etc. so it looks like the revised delivery schedule will hold. That would mean Qantas taking it's first 787s in early 2011 I think. You can bet DFW will be one of the first destinations.

QF A380 daily to Sydney and back
QF 787s to Brisbane and. Melbourne

My prediction (I'm hoping)
captmidnight

Postby Speedbump Joey on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 pm

3 daily QANTAS flights would be amazing.
Speedbump Joey

Return to Rumors