Gulf Air and DFW?

Share and talk about the latest DFW rumors here.

Gulf Air and DFW?

Postby TWABoy65 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:16 pm

While contrary to my post on the Qantas thread regarding a slowing of int'l expansion from mid-sized US markets such as Dallas, Houston and Atlanta, I saw something very interesting on A.Net. Seems that Gulf Air is looking at the possibility of adding some 73 new cities to it's route map over the coming years. Now, some arrogant Houston supporter seems that Gulf Air should be at IAH, however another poster seems to think that AA hubs would serve Gulf Air best due to AA's close partnership with Gulf Air, though DFW was not mentioned. So, does DFW stand a chance of landing this carrier, when the instability in the industry subsides?

Mark
TWABoy65

Re: Gulf Air and DFW?

Postby captmidnight on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:50 pm

So IAH Spotters want Gulf Air to land in Houston too? Sure, they can have everyone, Emirates... Qatar then Gulf Air.
I dreamed though that GF will eventually fly to DFW. :roll:
captmidnight

Postby captmidnight on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:38 pm

So to summarize, some airlines RUMORED to be considering DFW

Air India (via Munich)- DFW in their short US list

Qantas (Sydney, Melbourne and/or Perth)- once 787s arrive, but they're trimming their skeds aggressively

LAN- probably to Lima or Quito, codeshare with AA

Aer Lingus- they mentioned DFW before, but they're axing DUB-LAX. They're probably out.

Iberia- AA will probably start DFW-MAD 1st. But then AA is hurting.

Finnair- to India via Helsinki. Really? Could work with codeshare with AA

Gulf Air- we could always dream....

Cathay Pacific- OW AA partner. Being pursued by DFW

China Eastern- aren't they cutting back on their expansion too?

anybody else I forgot?
captmidnight

Postby Greg on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 am

I have heard Finnair's name bandied about also, but it seems like a longshot. I don't see the connection between DFW and Finland... Nokia? How big is their presence anymore?
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby matt on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:31 am

The big help with Finnair is the far northern hub. It is less travel distance, which means shorter flights, stopping at HEL versus BRU,LHR,CDG,AMS,FRA, etc. But then Finnair is shrinking too.

Gulf Air already flew to IAH and stopped. They had their chance!

I couldn't contain my surprise when I was hanging out at IAH in the early 1990s and went inside the Int'l terminal. I was walking through the gates admiring the European heavies, BA 744, KL 744, AF 763, and then.....GF A340!!! It was a weekly or maybe 2-3 days per week flight that stopped at JFK I think then on to Bahrain and somewhere else, maybe Doha. Sorry for the lack of details!
matt

Return to Rumors