Etihad to North TX

Share and talk about the latest DFW rumors here.

Etihad to North TX

Postby captmidnight on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Mentioned in an IAH spotters board that DFW is enticing Etihad Airways to come to DFW. Any thoughts? Is it going to happen? Right now gas is $75/barrel. Of course that could go up again rather quickly.

captmidnight

Re: Etihad to North TX

Postby Greg on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I think DFW is enticing Etihad, Cathay, Qantas, Iberia, Finnair et al to come to DFW. The question is, where is the market? O&D? Doubtful.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby TWABoy65 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:27 pm

Ain't gonna happen! As Cptn Midnight points out, oil is $75 a barrel and dropping the economy all over the world is tanking. How long will it be before the $200K execs at Exxon, Shell, and other oil companies are given pink slips and there are no more butts filling those $9,000 seats on Emirates? As someone on that forum implies, 2009 could be a bad year for IAH, especially with their international lights. As for Cathay, Finnair, Qantas and Iberia, dream on

-Mark
TWABoy65

Postby Greg on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:35 pm

I agree, DFW will be lucky to attract any major new Intl. service anytime soon.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby captmidnight on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:22 am

Not even Iberia nor LAN? So the main modus now is to keep what DFW has.....
captmidnight

Postby TWABoy65 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:03 am

We are lucky here in Dallas, we will probably keep most of our int' l carriers, as few as they are, while the folks down south will probably see a big cut back, because our economy is not so closely tied to the oil companies, like Houston's is. We are more of a hi-tech center as well as a major transport base, I believe that we also have a higher income level than Houston, folks here have more advance degrees and skills and so on. So when oil prices do drop to a certain point, more cutback in corporate travel and more seats go out empty, it is not rocket science, Houston will see a major drop in international air services. That is the big downside in having all of your eggs in one basket.

Still, I don't think we will see any new international airlines adding DFW to their routes for a couple of years. I beleive that people make way to much out of these alliances, so Iberia, Lan, nope. Now maybe a few cross border carriers like Westjet, maybe one of the Mexican LCC startups, but the biggies, na.

-Mark
TWABoy65

Postby 102IAHexpress on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:52 am

TWABoy65 wrote:We are lucky here in Dallas, we will probably keep most of our int' l carriers, as few as they are, while the folks down south will probably see a big cut back, because our economy is not so closely tied to the oil companies, like Houston's is. We are more of a hi-tech center as well as a major transport base, I believe that we also have a higher income level than Houston, folks here have more advance degrees and skills and so on. So when oil prices do drop to a certain point, more cutback in corporate travel and more seats go out empty, it is not rocket science, Houston will see a major drop in international air services. That is the big downside in having all of your eggs in one basket.

Still, I don't think we will see any new international airlines adding DFW to their routes for a couple of years. I beleive that people make way to much out of these alliances, so Iberia, Lan, nope. Now maybe a few cross border carriers like Westjet, maybe one of the Mexican LCC startups, but the biggies, na.

-Mark

TWABoy65:

First of all, you are confusing market uncertainty with overall industry health. Overall the energy sector remains healthy and strong. Will there be record breaking profits each quarter? No. But there will still be profits.
Secondly on what are you basing that the Houston’s economy is all in one basket? I guess you’ve never been to the largest medical center in the world or one of the world’s busiest sea ports.
But I won’t turn this into a pissing match because I could link every statistic, report and article about Houston and you wouldn’t read it. So I will simply say that:
Since you are that obsessed with IAH you will be glad to hear that premium demand to IAH will continue to be strong. In fact Qatar Airways can’t start IAH fast enough.
On the other hand…
DFW should be worried with concern. 2009 will see the loss of Sun Country Airlines, but that shouldn’t be a surprise. What may surprise some is the loss of some cargo airlines at DFW.
Lufthansa is another passenger airline to watch out for in 2009. Reduced capacity to DFW is a possibility as Continental and Lufthansa become cozier at IAH. You should expect to see a big time increase in seats on FRA-IAH, probably year round 747 service. Also some seasonal DUS-IAH service is a strong possibility. All of these increased seats to IAH will have to come at the expense of some seats to DFW. If Lufthansa didn’t face competition from AA at DFW then maybe I wouldn’t be too worried about the long-term prospects of FRA-DFW but we all know the lengths AA will go to, to protect their turf.

[Sarcasm] Yeah, you guys are lucky up in Dallas. [/sarcasm]
102IAHexpress

Postby Greg on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:07 pm

With oil back down to $65 and falling, perhaps the airlines will see a bit of breathing room on that front. On the other hand, with a recession on, people obviously won't have that spare cash for travel. We've seen that in the fact that Intl. traffic has fallen 3% in the past year.

I do disagree with your contention, 102IAHexpress, about LH possibly cutting back at DFW. The 343 seems to serve this route well, and it is usually pretty full. LH has been flying the DFW-FRA route for 20+ years for a reason, I don't see it going away. IAH is getting 744 service now daily; at least that is what is printed in the new LH timetable. That's splendid.

As for any 'contest' between DFW and IAH, I don't really care. It seems that IAH does get the Intl. traffic that DFW can't land, and good for them. I think DFW will be able to keep the 'Big Four' in LH, BA, KE and KL, but as for attracting any major new carriers, I would have to say this is doubtful in the near future. That's too bad.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby airhog111 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:28 am

I agree DFW should be able to retain the international carriers they have now with one possible exception. If BA and AA ever reach any type of financial relationship, I could see losing some (if not all) BA service due to BA's want to use the airplane on another more profitable route. (Since the revenues and expenses would be pooled, it makes no difference who actually flies a route.)

As far as Lufthansa is concerned, as long as the German military is entrenched at Ft. Bliss, TX and Holloman AFB in New Mexico, the Lufthansa flights should be ok. The fact that effective today their winter schedule again provides a 3 class airplane on the route means they are satisified with the route.
airhog111

Postby 050397 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:27 pm

IMHO, I think Etihad would have no problem filling the back of the plane. The problem is: who would pay for the F & J seats that form the backbone of Ultra- Long Haul flights' revenue.

Just a thought: Maybe if connections can be timed so that it would create seamless connections to Houston to capture some oil traffic. I'm sure Abu Dhabi has oil traffic (Correct me if I'm wrong). This would give ex-Abu Dhabi passengers a more convenient flight (rather than driving to Dubai and taking Emirates to Houston).

Also, I think Etihad going to Houston instead of Dallas probably won't happen with Emirates twice daily, Qatar daily, i think the market would become saturated if EY stepped in.

All in all, I think etihad will come to Dallas in the next 3-5 years. Especially if they strengthen relationships with AA.

Next

Return to Rumors