Automatic News Posting

Any suggestions, questions or comments about DFW Tower.com? Here's the place!

Automatic News Posting

Postby ZuluLima on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:45 am

I would like to request the removal of the feature which posts news items into the DFW News forum. Many of these posts are very similar, irrelevant, or just plain uninteresting. Since these stories are readily accessable from internet and TV sources I think they do not need posting on this site. I suggest letting users post what they find newsworthy so that the forum is not clogged up with unread topics.
File Error. Witty comment number 473 not found.
ZuluLima

Re: Automatic News Posting

Postby legion242 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:10 pm

+1
legion242

Postby Greg on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:18 pm

The automatic news feeder is now working properly. As stated in another forum, there was a glut of stories, mostly old, being posted as it caught up with the backlog posted on the RSS feed. In the future, stories will be posted within minutes of them appearing online.

While I agree many of the stories are similar, that is the nature of the 'news feed' beast so to speak. I have set the auto feed to post only to the DFW News forum. I would also agree that many of these stories are readily accessible.

However, the purpose of this site is to provide information, and not just to locals or regular visitors, but also others who just 'wander' in. I think the news feed helps us to do that, and adds a value. As these stories are only being posted into one forum, I don't think they are clogging things up too badly. I would like to continue running the news feeder.

Would it be a good idea to close the DFW News forum just to the feeder, and make another forum for users and locals to post there own DFW news topics?

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to hearing more!
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby ZuluLima on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:13 pm

A seperate forum would be the best solution if you don't want to eliminate auto-feed. Perhaps "DFW in the Media" or something like that.
ZuluLima

Postby ZuluLima on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:41 am

I've asked before, but now I'm begging. Please put the automatic posts in their own forum if you don't want to eliminate them all together. Right now there are 10 seperate threads about the exact same news item, which in itself is trivial (van hits Midwest 717). Pleeeeaaase.
ZuluLima

Postby Greg on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 am

I meant to do make this change sooner, I will work on it when I get back in a few days.
Greg
Site Administrator

Postby ZuluLima on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Cool. Where'd ya go? Bring me back a t-shirt? :mrgreen:
ZuluLima

Return to Site Related